Why you should NOT use XAMPP for production websites
In this article we will try explain why XAMPP is not good for a production website, as many of you have gaming websites. Following tutorials written by unexperienced people and kids using XAMPP is absolutely not accepted when you want to make or you allready have a business that brings you money.
A few reasons why many choose and say to use XAMPP:
- They have no experience in setup a proper web server
- The website/CMS they provide is not developed to work under Linux ( bad coding, capitalisation )
- Even if they know how to use a proper Web Hosting service on Linux, they cannot setup MS-SQL connection ( again, no experience )
- They just like the idea of “open setup.exe, click next next next, and you are done” ( again not professional )
What is XAMPP actually ?
XAMPP is the most popular PHP development environment
XAMPP is a completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. The XAMPP open source package has been set up to be incredibly easy to install and to use.
Exactly, this information is take from the official website: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
XAMPP is used for development enviroments, and almost every website developer on Windows is using it. But then again comes the experience problem, because if the actuall CMS / website developer does not create proper coding, it will not work on Linux; Windows accepts and runs many things without actually checking them, this is one of the main difference between Windows and Linux.
How can using XAMPP affect me ?
A few things to consider from the begining, if you are using XAMPP you will probably host it on the same server as your game is, and the following can be achieved really easy:
- A DDoS Attack on you “website” wich actually points to “your server“, will not only take down your website, but the whole connection of your server, thus nobody will play your game or use your service anymore.
- A hacker can get access to your server really easy, if you google “how to hack xampp” you will get tons of tutorials, posts and videos, and they all are true
- Your PHP Version is outdated and has security flaws, again someone can upload a shell to obtain access to your server ( we have seen many tutorials for hosting gaming websites that makes people use XAMPP 1.71 for example with PHP 5.2 because the website is working only on that version, well if this is the case it`s time for you to look at another CMS )
What are the benefits if I host my website on LGHOST ?
Well we can make a huge list on this question, but we will try to keep it short and to the point:
- Your website will never be offline, our system will mitigate any DDoS Attacks and keep your business up 24/7 guaranteed.
- You can limit the connection from your server -> to your website, so nobody can attack or bruteforce your MS-SQL server. ( yes, we have mssql connection )
- You can change PHP Versions, if this is what you desire our Premium cPanel will allow you to change it any time you want.
- You have integrated Antivirus, wich you can use to scan regularly your website for exploits and viruses
- Your website is always protected from hackers by Mod_Security, wich is the most popular Web Application Firewall.
- If you have no experience in web development, but you want a forum, blog or e-commerce website, you have access to 250+ systems to choose from and install them with 1 click, pretty cool huh ?
- Your website will become 10 x faster on our host, thanks to the global network in 19 locations that OVH offers us.
This is just a short list of what we offer in every Web Hosting package we have, and it`s allready a lot more than XAMPP does.
Thank you for reading, until next time all the best!